Welcome to Operations Insight Reports¶
Operations Insight (OI) Reports leverages MindSphere capabilities to allow users to create reports from MindSphere data sources and visualize the report in a MindSphere application.
Data Sources - when you add a data source to a report, you can:
- Select specific attributes to include/exclude as a whole
- Add filters to narrow the data to include in the report
- Create data joins between attributes contained in different data sources
Reports - report page functionality allows you to:
- Add date and time parameters
- Run reports automatically on a schedule you choose
- Share reports with your organization's users and user groups
- Add Visual Explorer (VE) Views to a report
- Visualize reports in an OI Dashboard or VE
Open the Reports list page by selecting "Reports" from the Configure list on the Operations Insight home page, as shown here:
Example of the Reports List Page¶
The main body of the Reports List page displays a table of information for each report you create or that has been shared with you. The right side of the page displays an Overview panel with summary information about all of your reports; this panel changes from summary information to specific report details when you select a report row in the table.
Reports Table Features¶
Use the search filter at the top of the table to search for a specific report. Reports appear in the table with the most recent report created at the top. Two columns--Status and Type--have sort icons next to the column name, so you can click to sort the column contents in ascending or descending order.
The table also displays the status of reports:
Success- displays when the last time the report executed, it was successful.
Pending- a newly created report displays as "Pending" while the report is processing.
In Progress- displays when a scheduled report is executing.
Failed- a newly created report fails to execute properly, or a scheduled report fails when executed.
The two report types in OI Reports are Dashboard and Visual Explorer. Your report's type is determined in the Save Report dialog when you select the OI application in which to view the executed report.
Overview / Details Panel¶
When you select a report in the table, details about the selected report display, and action icons display so you can:
- Edit any report fields except the "Name" field (pencil icon)
- Delete a report (trash icon)
- Share a report with other users
- Add VE views to a report
- Select a data source (drop-down arrow)
- Launch a data source in Visual Explorer (boxed arrow)
This shows report details when a row in the Report table is selected:
Overview - displays summary information about your reports, such as the number of scheduled and unscheduled reports, and number of report issues, if any. The Overview panel displays details of a report when you click a row in the Reports table.
Details - click a row in the Reports table, and the right side panel changes to display additional details about the selected report.
Once a report is created, you can access it from the Report List page and make changes to all settings with the exception of the report name.
Be aware that sometimes changes made to a data source or a joined dataset can cause problems, such as:
- Filters can drop from an attribute(s)
- Report execution may fail
In such cases, you may need to add filters to attributes again, and sometimes reports can fail.
To avoid these issues, make your changes, then save the report with a different name. Here is an example of the top of the Details panel, showing the the edit, delete, collapse, and launch icons:
How to Edit a Report¶
Click "Next" to navigate the report functionality, and follow these steps to edit a report:
- On the Reports list page, select the row for the report you want to edit. The panel displays details of the report.
- Click the "Edit" (pencil) icon. The report opens for editing.
- If you change a data source that is also used in a joined dataset, a message advises you to update the joined dataset.
- Use the "Next" and "Back" buttons to navigate to other setting you want to edit.
- On the "Save Report" page, edit the description and VE project location, if needed.
- Click "Finish". The report is saved and displays on the Report List page.
How to Delete a Report¶
To delete a report, highlight the report in the Reports table and click the "Delete" icon.
Adding Visual Explorer Views to a Report¶
To make certain VE report views available to OI Report users, you can associate the VE views with the report without leaving OI Reports. Follow these steps to associate VE views to an OI report:
- On the Reports page, locate the report you want to add VE views to and select its row.
- On the side Details panel, select the puzzle icon. The Add VE Views pop-up window displays.
- Enter characters in the Available views field to narrow the list to the views you want.
- Select the check box for each view you want to add, or use "Select All" to add all the views.
- Click the Add icon. Your selections appear in the "Views I use in this report" list.
Opening a Report's Data Source in Visual Explorer¶
You can open the data sources used in a Visual Explorer (VE) type report directly from the Report List page. This is an example of the Report List page that shows the drop-down list of the report's data sources:
How to Open a Report Data Source in VE¶
Follow these steps to open a report data source in VE:
- Select a report that of "Visual Explorer" type. A data sources drop-down list displays in the right panel.
- Select a data source from the drop-down list.
- Click the Launch icon. The data source opens in a Visual Explorer Tableau window.
Any questions left?
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under the MindSphere Development License Agreement.