Application types and specifications¶
This chapter describes the available types and infrastructure.
Types of applications¶
Developer Cockpit allows you to add the following types of applications:
- Standard: The standard type of application will be hosted in the Launchpad after the handover is done. Such types of applications provide a user interface for their users.
- Fleet Manager Plugin: The created applications will be visible in Fleet Manager.
- Operations Insight Plugin: The created applications will be visible in Operations Insight.
- Mobile: The mobile type of application represents a mobile native application connected to MindSphere. It will be available via your self-written app on your device. Also it supports app and universal links
- API: API application is not possible to use on their own as it always requires one or multiple depending on frontend.
- Mendix-based applications: Mendix is a software platform that provides tools for building, testing, and deploying applications. This feature is applicable only for MindSphere Cloud Foundry and self-hosted applications. When your application is marked with Mendix feature, then the operator gets informed upon the handover that a Mendix license is required to run this application. For more information on Mendix, see Developing Mendix Apps for MindSphere.
When applications are added, they are available in Developer Cockpit dashboard. After the registration of the applications, the standard UI applications are available in MindSphere Launchpad and the Fleet Manager plugin applications are available in the Fleet Manager dashboard.
Fleet Manager Plugin is deprecated. Use Operations Insight Plugin instead.
Mobile type applications are available exclusively for iOS and Android mobile devices.
Types of application infrastructure¶
Self-hosted: Developer Cockpit provides a platform to integrate your own applications with the MindSphere world. The self-hosted applications will be hosted on the private infrastructure.
None (without infrastructure): This type of infrastructure does not require any separate backend on MindSphere. Only mobile type of applications can be hosted here, where all logic is managed in the mobile application. However, they are exclusively available only for iOS and Android mobile devices.
The Cloud Foundry feature is not activated in Developer Cockpit to host your application in MindSphere environment. To activate Cloud Foundry feature, you need to buy Add-on the feature.
Supported infrastructure for each type of application¶
The following table describes the supported infrastructure for each type of application:
|Type of application||Self-hosted||None (without infrastructure)|
|Fleet Manager Plugin application||✓||-|
|Operations Insight Plugin application||✓||-|
States for an application¶
Any application must go through the following states in sequential order in Developer Cockpit, before being available in Launchpad:
- Adding application
- In Development
- Preparation in progress
- Waiting for approval
- Ready for assignment (in case of passed applications)
- Check failed (in case of failed applications)
- Archived (in case the application is not required for time being)
For self-hosted applications, once an application reaches the "Ready for assignment" state, it is automatically assigned to the default operator tenant.
- In Basic Capability package, assigning the application to other third-party operators is not possible.
- In Standard/Premium Capabilities packages, you can assign to the multiple operators.
States of handover¶
In "Dashboard" for the applications:
- In-Development: The first state is the application being in the "In-Development" phase. An application will move to this phase after its creation. The application needs to be then registered.
- Preparation in progress: This is the second phase of the process. After pushing the binaries into the application, the application moves to the state of initiating the upload.
- Waiting for approval: This is the third phase of the application handover. An application reaches this phase when its metadata information is submitted successfully.
- Check failed: An application goes to this state by the following reasons:
- Mismatch in meta-data
- Risk found while scanning the application details
You will get a notification in Developer Cockpit and also via failure mail.
In "Promoted Apps" for the applications:
- Ready for assignment: If the upload request of the application is successful, the submitted application is approved, the application is pushed to the "Promoted Apps" with is new state. The application is now assigned to the default operator tenant.
Any questions left?
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under the MindSphere Development License Agreement.